JOHNSONS IS OFFICIALLY FOUNDED
Established in 1897 at the site of 16 Abbey Green Nuneaton, the business is officially founded by Harold Johnson. Unofficial records suggest that watchmaking had been in the family prior to the opening of the small shop, with Henry Johnson trading as a watchmaker in Lutterworth in the 1860’s.
A NEW HOME
Outgrowing its’ size in the Abbey Green area in Nuneaton, the business moves to its current location on Queens Road around 1936, and was known as Johnsons Jewellers “Opposite the gas office”. Nestled between family favourite stores in the area Hardings Bakery and E. Maybury furnishings.
During the war years Douglas and Nancy Johnson take over the small business, whilst living upstairs above the shop. Douglas and Nancy notably gave all brides and grooms to be, a silver spoon as a wedding gift from Johnsons. Silver cutlery and clocks were a staple part of the business, with Omega watches and diamond jewellery luxuries of their time.
WHILST THE WORLD WATCHES
Whilst the world watches with bated breath as the first moon landing is attempted in 1969, the shop windows attract attention from the locals, as they are innovatively turned into a dramatic display to commemorate the historic occasion.
SETTLED BETWEEN HARDINGS AND MAYBURY’S
This image sees the Johnsons shop to the left of Maybury and the Beehive, which later gets knocked down in the anticipation of creating the ringway, which will loop around the town centre.
DOUGLAS JOHNSON LEAVES A LEGACY
Douglas Johnson passes away in 1981 leaving the legacy to Robert Johnson, who soon sets sight on expansion of the business. Having gained his Gemstone qualifications working elsewhere during his youth, Robert takes on the business with his wife Pam by his side.
In 1984 Robert purchases a small parcel of land which has become available after the Beehive building is knocked down, with the intentions of growing the collections on offer.
The extension of the business in 1985 offers a wider range of diamond jewellery and watches. The arrival of the Rolex clock can be seen above the store entrance, with a display of Rolex , Omega, Tissot watches on the right side.
JOHNSONS CELEBRATE 100 YEARS
1997 sees Johnsons celebrate 100 years in business. A milestone achievement which is a far cry from its’ humble beginnings. The Johnsons family celebrate with a party for family, friends and staff who have supported them over the years.
HARDING’S BAKERY CLOSES
When Harding’s bakery closes down, Robert jumps at the chance to purchase the old bakery and opens a new store, Tikk. The fashionable new shop offers a variety of silver jewellery, fashion watches and on-trend gifts.
A NEW ERA
Johnsons is refurbished and expanded to be a busy store selling a large collection of fine jewellery and watches.The extended shop also offers a wide array of homeware and gifts including LLadro, Swarovksi, silver photo frames and long case clocks.
Robert’s children Libby and Catherine become the fourth family generation of the Johnsons legacy. Having both worked in the business during school holidays over previous years, they both officially join the business full time and become Directors. Libby assists her father in the buying and makes plans to create the company’s first ever website, whilst Catherine works behind the scenes in the Accounting.
The decision is made in 2016 to close Tikk, and to merge both Tikk and Johnsons together. The aim is to create a luxury destination store in the Midlands, with a dedicated Rolex boutique, which will attract customers from far and wide.
EXPANDING AN EMPIRE
A new store is born. The large new store is home to Johnsons first ever Rolex in store boutique. This new seating area offers a dedicated Rolex showroom, where clients can view the luxury timepieces in comfort. The store has a new light cream interior and contrasting dark wood finishes, with a number of relaxed seating areas to view the vast collections of jewellery and watches on offer.
With an ever growing repairs department, both the jewellery and watch workshops have extensions. With repairs always being a fundamental part of the business, the requirement for new machinery and more space sees both the workshops being extended. Two goldsmiths and three watchmakers carry out the majority of repairs in-house.
CELEBRATING 125 YEARS
2022 sees the business celebrate 125 years. Today Johnsons employs a total of 23 staff which includes 3 watchmakers and 2 goldsmiths in our on-site workshops, a far cry from the single handed run business set up in 1897.
A dedicated Rolex boutique, brings customers to the destination store in the heart of the Midlands. Exquisite Swiss watch brands OMEGA, TUDOR, Breitling, TAG Heuer and Longines are amongst many of the luxury timepieces on offer, Johnsons continue to offer an outstanding collection of fine diamond and gemstone jewellery, with every piece personally hand selected by the Johnsons family.
We look forward to warmly welcoming you in store